Elizabeth A. (“Lizzy”) Garlovsky concentrates her practice in Estate Planning and Wealth Transfer, Probate, and Estate and Trust Administration. With more than twenty years of experience in both private practice as well as time spent working in the public sector and as a wealth advisor for JPMorgan, Lizzy brings a unique holistic and human approach to her representation of clients. Lizzy assists clients in the preparation and implementation of customized estate plans and represents a wide range of individuals and their families. She also represents individual executors and trustees, including corporate fiduciaries, administer trusts and estates at any stage, including through controversies both inside and outside of court. In addition, Lizzy frequently counsels heirs, legatees and beneficiaries of estates and trusts of all sizes to advocate for their rights under will and trust documents, or when no documents exist.
Lizzy is an active member of the trusts and estates community and her community at large. Lizzy is a frequent lecturer, presenter and author and she enjoys giving back to her peers and as a mentor to junior colleagues. She also provides pro bono legal services and supports related organizations and activities. In addition, in April 2017, Lizzy was elected to a four-year term on the Board of Education for Township High School District 113 in Highland Park, Illinois.
• How Irrevocable is Irrevocable? Ways to Modify Irrevocable Trusts Under Illinois Law, 2020 IICLE Estate Planning Short Course
• What to know about Retirement Planning under the new SECURE Act with an update under the CARES Act (and a few tips for planning during COVID-19), 2020, LCBA Trusts& Estates Committee
• A Refresher on Claims and the Intersection of Personal Injury & Probate, 2019 CBA Complex Issues in Probate and Trust Administration and Litigation
• Tax and Estate Planning for Divorce, 2018 Chicago Estate Planning Council
• Trust Planning for Divorce and Blended Families, 2017 ALI–CLE Estate Planning in Depth, Madison, WI
• Post-Divorce Bliss (Divorce Issues Affecting Estate Planning and Probate), 2017 IICLE Estate Planning Short Course
• Decanting and Virtual Representation, 2016 IICLE Estate Planning Short Course
• The Probate Process in Illinois, 2015 IICLE Estate Planning Short Course
• Advising Small & Moderate Estates, 2014 IICLE Estate Planning Short Course
• Will Distribution Provisions, 2014 IICLE Illinois Form Builder – Illinois Wills
• Impact of Civil Unions of Estate Planning & Administration, 2011 Lake County Bar Association Annual Trusts and Estates Conference
• The Marriage of Estate Planning and Divorce, 2007 Chicago Bar Association, Probate Practice Committee
• Planning for Guardianships, 2005 IICLE Estate Planning Short Course
• Estate Planning & Probate “Flashpoints”, monthly author, IICLE, April 2019-Present
• Everything Old is New Again, author, Trusts and Estates Magazine, May 2018 (*Nominated for Editor’s “Rising Star” Distinguished Author Award)
• Divorce and Estate Planning, co-author, Estate Planning, July 2018
• Introduction to Probate and Probate Alternatives (2019 Update), co-author, IICLE Estate Administration Handbook
How did we do?
Note: Your review may be shared publicly.